Program update: As of April 1, 2022, service providers will no longer be required to sign on investment agreements. Alberta Innovates will fund successful applicants directly. Service providers are still required for this program and must be identified in your application.
Accelerate your new product technology development
The Micro Voucher Program is designed to de-risk novel technological solutions.
Alberta Innovates do this by providing qualified high potential, high growth, technology or knowledge-based Alberta small and medium enterprise (SME) up to $10,000 in funding, combined with coaching, to accelerate the pathway to commercialization and scale-up.
The program is a good fit for high potential, high growth, technology or knowledge-based Alberta small and medium enterprise (SME) that:
- has a novel technology with an opportunity for intellectual property
- functional requirements and features that are defined, and can prove that the concept is technically feasible.
- has a management team and executed foundational business agreements
- can identify target customer, customer segments and possible markets
- has completed an initial high-level competitive position analysis and understands any regulatory hurdles to entering the market
- can point to pricing and business models of similar products in the industry
- has a technology readiness level between 3 and 7
- can complete the proposed project within six months
- has connected with a Technology Development Advisor (TDA) for coaching
Qualified SMEs may be eligible for up to $10,000 for the purpose of one or more of the following activities:
- Design, engineering and prototype development;
- Product testing and refinement;
- Patent development; (excluding patent maintenance fees)
- Advanced market assessment or segmentation analysis;
- Advanced business and/or marketing strategies; and/or
- Other technology development activities that will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please note: the applicant pays a minimum 25 percent cash contribution of the total eligible project costs.
Read the full program here.