FIRST JOBS: SCALE-UP is a new program offered by Technology Alberta that continues the momentum of FIRST Jobs to support more companies in a scaled-up way.
Scale-Up will support multiple work placements from 2023-2024.
Eligible technology scale-ups will be supported to hire an Albertan post-secondary student or recent graduate for a 500-hour work term, which Technology Alberta provides 75% subsidized.
FIRST Jobs: Scale-Up projects could be in exciting areas such as:
- Software Development
- Web Design & Development
- Hardware/Firmware Development
- Graphic Design
- UI/UX Design
- Business Development & Management
- Data Analysis
- Business Analysis
And other areas that provide meaningful experience and can support a 500-hour scope.-
Students/New Grads Eligibility
- Company is incorporated and operating in Alberta
- SME (fewer than 100 employees)
- Working in the technology sector and creating innovative solutions
- Able to provide a project with a 500-hour scope
- Able to provide mentorship to their student hire on the project
- Scale-Up is a Work Integrated Learning program
- Able to pay their hire $20 an hour for 500 hours, to be reimbursed 75% from Technology Alberta
- Currently studying at an accredited post-secondary institution located in Alberta (or graduated within the past 6 months)
- For a complete list, click here.
- Over 18 years of age
- Alberta resident and able to work within the province for the duration of their work term
- International students are eligible for FIRST Jobs programs
- Have not previously completed the program they are applying to
- Have not previously been employed by their First Jobs company
FIRST Jobs: Scale-Up will be held in 3 streams:
- Stream A- Full-Time, May – August 2023 (Applications for this stream are now closed)
- Stream B- Part-Time, September 2023 – February 2024
- Stream C- Full-Time, September 2023 – February 2024
- Technology Alberta will review all applications and contact those that qualify for funding. Companies may participate in the Scale-Up Program for only one stream (i.e. one work term).
- If eligible, you will receive a contract to agree to the terms of the program
- Your company will gain access to our job board, where you can post your job and project description
- You will specify the amount of hours (500, 200) and schedule (Full-time, Part time) and work type (remote, onsite) in the job description
- If you have a candidate in mind, they must apply to the program using the above JOBSEEKER FORM.
FIRST Jobs has been supported by the Government of Alberta and the Government of Canada.
Follow Technology Alberta for updates on community events, hiring initiatives, and all things Alberta tech.