FIRST JOBS: SCALE-UP is a new program offered by Technology Alberta that continues the momentum of FIRST Jobs to support more companies in a scaled-up way.
Scale-Up will support multiple work placements from 2023-2024.
Eligible technology scale-ups will be supported to hire an Albertan post-secondary student or recent graduate for a 500-hour work term, which Technology Alberta provides 75% subsidized.
FIRST Jobs: Scale-Up projects could be in exciting areas such as:
- Software Development
- Web Design & Development
- Hardware/Firmware Development
- Graphic Design
- UI/UX Design
- Business Development & Management
- Data Analysis
- Business Analysis
And other areas that provide meaningful experience and can support a 500-hour scope.-
Students/New Grads Eligibility
- Company is incorporated and operating in Alberta
- SME (fewer than 100 employees)
- Working in the technology sector and creating innovative solutions
- Able to provide a project with a 500-hour scope
- Able to provide mentorship to their student hire on the project
- Scale-Up is a Work Integrated Learning program
- Able to pay their hire $20 an hour for 500 hours, to be reimbursed 75% from Technology Alberta
- Currently studying at an accredited post-secondary institution located in Alberta (or graduated within the past 6 months)
- For a complete list, click here.
- Over 18 years of age
- Alberta resident and able to work within the province for the duration of their work term
- International students are eligible for FIRST Jobs programs
- Have not previously completed a FIRST Jobs Program work term (in any stream)
- Have not previously been employed by their First Jobs company
FIRST Jobs: Scale-Up will be held in 3 streams:
- Stream A- Full-Time, May – August 2023 (Applications for this stream are now closed)
- Stream B- Part-Time, September 2023 – February 2024
- Stream C- Full-Time, September 2023 – February 2024
- Technology Alberta will review all applications and contact those that qualify for funding. Companies may participate in the Scale-Up Program for only one stream (i.e. one work term).
- If eligible, you will receive a contract to agree to the terms of the program
- Your company will gain access to our job board, where you can post your job and project description
- You will specify the amount of hours (500, 200) and schedule (Full-time, Part time) and work type (remote, onsite) in the job description
- If you have a candidate in mind, they must apply to the program using the above JOBSEEKER FORM.
Follow Technology Alberta for updates on community events, hiring initiatives, and all things Alberta tech.