Technology Alberta FIRST Jobs Pilot Program
6 sessions running from 2021-2023
Applications for Companies currently being accepted for 2022.
Purpose of the Program
The FIRST (First Industry Research Science Technology) Jobs program offers a work placement and meaningful work experience for a current student or recent graduate of an Alberta post-secondary institution while supporting the growth of Alberta’s SME Tech Sector. The student placement is to be a remote integrated learning and work experience. Relevant professional topics are situated in the context of the workplace and are offered as a vehicle to enhance workplace performance – both for the young professionals and for the companies themselves.
Eligible Technology Companies:
- Are innovative small-to-medium-sized technology businesses operating in Alberta
- Are actively hiring and seeking highly qualified professionals to grow their business
- Will seek to provide an engaging project/work experience to the candidate – that can be completed remotely (due to COVID)
- Will develop one or more projects to be completed part-time over an approximate 20-week period (~ 200 hours)
- Will provide a primary company contact who acts as coach, colleague and company liaison
- Are able to offer a fully supported work term for a current post-secondary student or recent graduate.
- Are able to create a meaningful part-time work-integrated learning experience for a young professional. (Note: eligible young professionals do not have a previous working relationship with the company)
- Are creating advanced technologies as their core business
- Committed to growing the company with local talent.
- Committed to participating in building a strong tech community in the province.
Companies should be ready to commit to:
- Pay their young professional the $4000 fellowship allowance prior to program reimbursement. (Eg. $2000 – After week 10 (Reimbursed 2-4 weeks later); Remaining $2000 After Week 20 (Also reimbursed 2-4 weeks later))
- Ready to employ their young professional for 10 hours a week for a period of 20 weeks (or as mutually agreed)
Appropriate Project Topics/Roles include (but are not limited to):
- User Interface Design
- Software Development
- Customer Experience
- Product Marketing and Communications
- Product Design and Documentation
- Project Coordination
Each company will be able to interview the candidates who are interested in their positions.
Value for companies that participate in this program:
- Meet promising new talent for possible future employment
- Provide mentorship to a successful candidate and testing company fit
- Grow their networks with the other 50 tech companies and the 50 youth participants
- Learn about Alberta’s tech community through information and panel sessions with other FIRST Jobs participants
- Free for FIRST Jobs companies
|Note: All material will be posted, and provided as on-line content, or video resources|
|Defining a Project. Information can be found here.|
|Company General Information session. See Company Resources.|
|Applications for Companies currently being accepted for 2022. Apply NOW|
We invite you to join us in inspiring Alberta’s post-secondary students and young professionals to strengthen our growing Tech Sector with their talent.