Kickstart your career with the FIRST Jobs Program by Technology Alberta
With multiple program pathways, there are plenty of work-integrated learning opportunities available for you. Find your FIRST Job in Alberta's tech sector!
Purpose of the Program
Alberta’s technology companies are looking for students and new graduates in areas including business, arts, science, and technology
The FIRST (First Industry Research Science Technology) Jobs program offers a meaningful work experience for a current student or recent graduate of an Alberta post-secondary institution while supporting the growth of Alberta’s SME Tech Sector.
Weekly relevant professional development sessions are provided in the context of the workplace and are offered as a vehicle to enhance workplace performance – both for the young professionals and for the companies themselves. Recognition of completion certificates is provided to those who complete all the required sessions.
Successful Applicants who complete this program will:
- Gain valuable work experience at an Alberta technology company, that can help launch their careers
- Be able to grow their networks with both the participating technology companies and other young professionals in the cohort
- Learn more about Alberta’s extensive tech community through information sessions with Technology Alberta and panel sessions with participating companies.
- Be paid a stipend of $20 per hour worked through the program
THE TECHNOLOGY ALBERTA FIRST JOBS PROGRAM – 6 Easy Steps
Step 1) Apply to the program (In the period where applications are open)
To be eligible to participate in the FIRST Jobs Program:
- You must be a current student or recent graduate (within the past 6 months) from an accredited Alberta post-secondary institution
- You must have previously set up your LinkedIn Profile (putting in your best efforts) in order to complete the application form (and be seen as of interest to employers)
- You must be an Alberta resident
- You must be over the age of 18
Technology Alberta personnel will provide confirmation (via email) to the successful applicants, confirming their applicability for this free program.
Applicants NOT eligible for funding:
- Individuals who have previous working relationships with the Tech Company that they are applying to
- Individuals who have previously completed the First Jobs Program or Next Level Careers Program
Step 2) Review pre-program session materials
Step 3) Accepted Applicants apply for projects posted by the participating technology companies
Step 4) Job seekers interviewed for project positions by employers
Step 5) Top candidates are selected by employers, and the Young Professionals begin their work term as part-time contractors.
Step 6) Professional Development Sessions are offered over the entire term, for both Young Professionals and Companies
FIRST Jobs Contact
Please read our Jobseeker FAQs before emailing.
Follow Technology Alberta for updates on community events, hiring initiatives, and all things Alberta tech.